Thursday 8 November 2012

What's the story in Tobermory?

Last weekend was spent hiking in Tobermory, which is about 5 hours from London.  Since our retarded house which looks amazing but decides to break in some way approximately 10 times a day decided to surprise us with no heat or hot water, Friday was an extremely rushed day.  Rushing to Greg's to shower, rushing to uni to print off forms because I'm too much of a tramp to buy a printer, rushing to some random guys house to sign up for the ski trip.  The ski trip is basically Leeds' Snowriders trip at home, why I've signed up to it I have no idea as I've never ever skiied in my life.. but I figured if I should learn anywhere it should be in Canada, especially with people who will get me so hammered that I'll still have some Dutch courage in the morning rolling down the slopes a la Bridget Jones.

I was actually so glad to be picked up to set off on the trip, especially as the new improved cubby hole snuggle seats meant the car was a million times warmer than my hideous ice cube house.  We arrived several hours later, not without some mandatory Tim's stops, a ticket for speeding and a rousing chorus of 'Fuck the Police'.  Arriving last meant we didn't have to sort out a fire so spent the night chatting with everyone and eating spider dogs and s'mores - both equally weird but incredible - a spider dog is a hotdog you roast which splits into eight like spider legs.. genius!  And a s'more is melted marshmallow, chocolate and graham crackers sandwiched.  Amazing.

A luxurious breakfast of eggs and bacon set us up for the 13km hike of Day 1; Tobermory borders Lake Huron and we were hiking along the cliff tops next to Georgian Bay.  Whislt 13km seems like nothing, the terrain was so so rocky and steep in places that it was much more difficult than I expected, got myself some gorgeous blisters and potentially broke my ankle again.  However the views were stunning, I still can't believe that these lakes are lakes, they're so huge they just look like ocean to me.  The trail is no trace, and it felt like nobody had ever walked there before, I was basically Bear Grylls.  It was even snowing!  I do not recognise myself.

Even though the group wasn't huge, we obviously ended up splitting due to pace, and by the end we were all dead.  I honestly thought the end would never come, and we finally come across a sign saying 'Caution: Bear in area' right next to a long rope trailing down a ridiculously steep hill.  Surely we wouldn't be camping here? No, obviously we were.

We weren't allowed a fire that night and all had to sleep on raised platforms across the hillside, it was without a doubt the most basic camping I've ever done.  Jesse had cooked the greatest chilli I've ever had in my entire life, so I went to bed feeling pretty content.. only to wake up in the morning with SNOW next to my head.  Freaking SNOW.  When I left England, there is no way I'd ever be camping unless it was the middle of summer, and now I'm camping in snow?  On a mountain.  With bears.  Of my own accord.  Literally do not recognise myself.

Anyway the hike back was much easier than we all expected, and the day ended with visiting the Grotto, a huge cave with beautiful pools where you could get right down by the water.  I just watched as the bravest/stupidest of us went jumping off the top of the caves and swimming, I was literally freezing my arse off at this point so huge congrats to the maniacs who went in - Chloe and Jess in particular for representing the Brits!

So basically.. I went hiking this weekend, and I am just as amazed at myself as my parents are, but Canada is literally the most stunning place that I think it's the best way to see it all.  Camping trips are pretty much over as the snow's definitely coming, I'm already wearing my warmest outfits so I'm screwed for when proper winter comes.  Aaaand nothing else to report.  Except on the way home we went for a meal and I had a pulled pork sandwich and it was the greatest thing I've ever had in my mouth.  Ew.  Sorry.


Spider dog!

High fashion


jc'in on a cliff



Supporting a soggy Jess


No comments:

Post a Comment